Notes to Apply for a Kwok Scholarship for the Undergraduate Study at the University of Oxford for the 2023 Entry
The aim of the Kwok Scholarships is to provide financial support for students of exceptional academic merit wishing to make a commitment to serve the public for the benefit of the Hong Kong community and /or betterment of Mainland China and intending to use their studies at the University of Oxford (“Oxford”) to further that commitment.
This scholarship is only available to Chinese students from Hong Kong and/or Mainland China who have been offered a place to pursue the undergraduate degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics; History and Politics; Psychology (Experimental); or Psychology, Philosophy, Linguistics at Oxford.
- Your Kwok Scholarship application is independent of your application to study at
- You should not apply for a Kwok Scholarship until after you have been offered a place
to study at Oxford, having successfully applied through UCAS.
- Scholarships will be allocated based on academic merit, financial need, leadership
potential, demonstrated commitment to improve the lives of others and a vision of serving the community with
your field of expertise.
- To apply, please complete the Online Scholarship Application Form (scroll down to the
end of this Note to see the Online Application Form). Please also provide the following supporting documents
to [email protected], limiting the size of
each email to no more than 10MB:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Academic transcripts;
- Offer letter from Oxford for a place to study for one of the
undergraduate degree programmes covered by the Kwok Scholarships;
- Proof of your need for financial support, justifying why you should be
awarded a scholarship, including:
- - The latest available tax returns of each member of your
household who contributes financially to your household;
- - Any other source(s) of funds, which have not been reflected in
the Online Application Form, available to contribute towards the cost of your studies;
- - Any other documents that support your financial status and
that of your household’s.
- - The latest available tax returns of each member of your household who contributes financially to your household;
- Records of your extracurricular activities, volunteering work,
initiatives and other relevant experiences. It should include the time period (year and month),
duration/ average hours of your activities/ services, name of organization/ activities, your role
and achievement. Describe a recent significant extra-curricular activity/ volunteering work/
initiative/ experience. State why it is significant and what you have learned from it. Major
obstacles and challenges you have managed can also be included;
- Statement of purpose (no more than 800 words) to explain how your
study at Oxford will prepare for your career. A general guidance of the statement includes your
inspiration, what drives you and your interests in social affairs. Explain how your study at Oxford
will enhance your positive contributions to the Hong Kong community and/or the betterment of
Mainland China. Give us an indication of possible careers after your study. Your long-term career
goals should also be included;
- Reference letters from two academic referrers. A reference letter from one
referrer to testify your character and your involvement in extracurricular
activities/ volunteering work/ leadership activities. Please ask your referrers to email their reference letters directly to
[email protected], using their
institution’s email address; - Notes to Referrers.
- Curriculum vitae;
- Please ensure that your Online Scholarship Application Form, all the supporting materials and reference letters from referrers are received by us no later than 18.00 on Tuesday 31st January 2023 (China Standard Time). Incomplete applications, and applications received after the closing time, will not be considered. We reserve the right to request further information and/or the production of original documents at interview.
- Please inform us if there is any change in your financial status and that of your
household’s during the course of application. This should include the status of other scholarship
- You will be notified if you are shortlisted for interview. It is anticipated that successful applicants will be notified of the Scholarship selection committee’s decision by May 2023. The decision of the committee shall be final and there is no appeal mechanism.
- Please email us at [email protected] if you have any queries
regarding completing the Online Scholarship Application Form or the required supporting documents.
Personal Information Collection Statement - The personal data provided in the context of your application will be used for purposes relating to applications for and (where applicable) the administration of Kwok Scholarships and scholars' membership of the Kwok Scholars Association. Such data may be provided to other organisations authorised to process or handle for purposes relating to Kwok Scholarships, including for the purpose of verifying information or documents provided. If an application is successful, an appropriate announcement and details (including but not limited to your name, educational and professional background) may be shared, including on our website, social media platforms, publications and news updates, for reporting or promotion of the Kwok Scholarships and the Kwok Scholars Association. Personal data of an unsuccessful applicant will normally be destroyed 2 years after rejection of the applicant's application. Unless otherwise exempted under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, applicants have the right of access to and correction of their personal data; requests in such regard should be made to the Kwok Scholars Association Limited at [email protected].